Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hey Hey Hay

There's something about living less than a mile from Costco that puts you in that bulk-buying frame of mind. Maybe it's because it's so easy to run over to pick up a juicy roast chicken for dinner, and hey, while we're here, let's grab 36 rolls of toilet paper and a gallon of artichoke hearts. Or, it might have something to do with the fact that, with one teenage boy, and one almost-teenage boy, we go through food like it's water. Or, the fact that for my job, I'm in the grocery store three days a week, so the last thing I want to do on a day off is more shopping, so I buy as much as I can in one shot so I don't have to go back for awhile. The trick is to get the balance just right so that your big buy doesn't spoil before you can use it up. (The pack of six heads of Romaine lettuce - not such a great idea.)

So it's no surprise that when it comes time to buy hay, if it's at a good price, we'll stock up and buy a whole squeeze.

For two horses.

This is what a squeeze of hay looks like, being delivered:

See how the stack is taller than our shed? The size of the truck and the big tree make it deceiving, but that stack is about 16 feet high. That's a lot of hay.

And here's what it looks like after my very strong, wonderful husband and two sons stacked it in one of our 12X16 stalls, part of the breezeway, and tarped off the rest:

 

It took them all day, and approximately a gallon of drinking water each.
Did I mention it is summer?
In Arizona?
I wish I could have taken pictures of all their hard work, but I was at work myself. 

The good thing about all this hay, for our very small herd, is that we won't have to do it again until the beginning of next year. 

And here are a few other good things about hay:

It's a nice spot to chill out between chasing lizards.


It's a great place to lean, especially after a bath.


Just ask Pepper.


And, it's delicious.


Here's another good place to lean.


And here is what throwing hay in 100+ degree heat will do to a sixteen-year-old:


(Whatever you do, do NOT tell him about this picture. He'll never speak to me again.)

At least until he gets hungry.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please use the comment form.

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

intense debate