Thursday, March 18, 2010

Bittersweet

I've heard it said that buying a horse is like buying a boat - the two happiest days are the day you buy it, and the day you sell it. Well, not for me. I recently said goodbye to my dear friend, Siofra.

It was one of the hardest things I've had to do. We made the tough decision to sell her after the economy took a dump. Our stock market nest egg vaporized along with everybody else's, and the horses were our only moveable asset. It took a year to sell Siofra, but in the meantime, she foaled a gorgeous buckskin colt, Arthur.

He is now happily living it up in east Texas.

Selling Siofra was bittersweet. She had been with us since she was a baby. We did a lot of growing together, and she had the gift of forgiving my amateur-horse-owner blunders. And for every mistake I made, I learned a lesson. Horses have a way of healing a person. It's like therapy. You can have the worst day, go out to the barn and start grooming your horse, and with every brushstroke, the world just melts away.

There's a famous quote by Sir Winston Churchill - "There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man." - and it's so true. So Siofra will be horse therapy for her new family. I know they will love her just as much as I do. Girls to fawn over her, ride her, brush her and hopefully it's all the therapy anyone will ever need.

We'll miss her.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! Please use the comment form.

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

intense debate